Fibroids are influenced by hormonal changes in the body, especially an abundance of estrogen, and because of that they can be successfully reduced or even eliminated by changes in your lifestyle. These lifestyle changes include:
- Herbal treatment;
- Stress management;
What Causes Fibroids?
Knowing how to eliminate fibroids naturally requires understanding what causes them in the first place. The major cause of fibroids is too much estrogen in the body, or estrogen dominance. Some of the causes of estrogen dominance are:
- Birth control pills
- Spermicides on condoms
- Hormone replacement therapy
- Ingredients in cosmetics
- Plastic cookware
- Growth hormones in meat and milk
- Pesticides and herbicides
- PCBs – polychlorinated biphenyls
- Being overweight
It is important to stop eating heavily processed foods. White flour, white rice, sugar, and all simple carbohydrates cause an insulin spike in the blood. Insulin changes the way that the body handles estrogen. This in turn encourages the formation of fibroids as well as the growth of existing fibroids. Other dietary changes that should be made are:
- Eliminate fried foods. They tax the liver and the liver is where estrogen is processed.
- Stay away from all forms of caffeine, including tea and chocolate.
- Eat lots of dark leafy greens, lentils, beans, and organically raised poultry.
- Seaweed helps support the thyroid and adrenals, part of keeping hormone levels in check.
- Stay away from alcohol.
- Drink filtered water.
- Although some doctors recommend soy as being helpful during menopause, soy contains toxins as well as phyto-estrogens (plant based estrogens). These substances increase the estrogen in the body and encourage fibroid growth.
If you are overweight, try to lose the extra pounds. Estrogen is metabolized in the fat cells and so overweight women have more estrogen than lean women. Also, cut any animal product from your diet that has added hormones. This includes any conventionally produced beef or dairy product. According to the FDA, organic meats and dairy products are not allowed to have added hormones.
There are several herbs that help to eliminate fibroids naturally including:
- Dong Quai
- Black Cohosh
- Chasteberry (Also called vitex)
Since the liver deactivates estrogen it is important to keep it functioning at optimal levels. Using a liver cleanse will help your liver clear out toxins and heal itself. Using herbs like milk thistle,lemon and dandelion will keep it working at full capacity.
Most herbs take some time to make an obvious difference in your health. Plan on taking them for about two to three months before the full benefit of these herbs is apparent.
The body can absorb estrogens present in the environment. These environmental estrogens, or xeno-estrogens, are found in many things that people use on a daily basis. As these substances are used the estrogen is taken into the body and fibroid growth occurs. Some of the substances that can cause the growth of fibroid tissue are:
- Personal care products
As much as possible you should try to use organic and eco-friendly items. Doing this limits your exposure to environmental estrogens.
Stress depletes the body of important B vitamins and encourages hormonal imbalances. Learn to manage your stress and be sure to take a good vitamin B supplement.
Castor Oil Packs can be very helpful in relieving uterine fibroids. You will need:
- Castor Oil
- Piece of cotton flannel
- Plastic wrap
- Hot water bottle
To use the castor oil pack:
- Warm the castor oil
- Soak the cloth in it;
- Fold the cloth and place on the abdomen over the area of the fibroid.
- Cover the cloth with the plastic wrap.
- Place a towel over the plastic wrap
- Place a hot water bottle over it and leave on overnight.;
- Repeat for five nights then take two nights off.
- Continue this pattern for three weeks.
Progesterone cream is one way that many women can balance their hormone levels and reduce or eliminate fibroids. This cream is available at most health food stores. Generally about 1/8 of a teaspoon is rubbed on the inner arms twice a day.
All the best