Ginger is a herb that is used as a spice and also for its therapeutic qualities. The underground stem (rhizome) can be used fresh, powdered, dried, or as an oil or juice. Ginger is part of the Zingiberaceae family, as are cardamom, turmeric and galangal.
Honey is a sweet liquid produced by honey bees using nectar from flowers through a process of regurgitation and evaporation.
Honey ginger is an ancient tonic particularly popular in Asian, Indian, and Arabic herbal traditions and cultures whereby honey water is used as a medium for transmitting the benefits of the ginger root to the body.
How to prepare honey ginger
What you need
1 tablespoon of freshly grated/finely chopped ginger
1 tablespoon honey
1 cup of hot water/tea
Steps to follow:
1.Prepare the grated ginger in a cup and pour hot boiling water/tea.
2.Let it steep for 5-10 minutes and remove the ginger with a strainer.
3.Add honey when the drink has cooled down to some extent.
Many Health Benefits
The honey and ginger tonic is best known as a remedy for digestive issues. Like a natural herbal antibiotic, the spicy mixture, with its broad-spectrum of inherent antibacterial, antiviral and anti-parasitic properties, volatile oils and phenol compounds, is touted for the following medicinal benefits:
1. Stimulates the body immunity of those with a weak digestion system.
2. Fights toxins, aids in moving food through the stomach and digestive tract.
3. Treats stomach upset, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
4. Relieve bloating sensation and colic conditions.
As the ginger root is a superb source of antioxidants such as gingerols, zingerones and shogaols, a warm honey ginger drink is also a popular cold regiment for many people who are dealing with common cold and flu symptoms. With a squeeze of fresh lemon juice added, this tangy drink effectively:
1. Soothes scratchy throat.
2. Acts as an excellent expectorant for cough.
3. Helps clear sinuses.
4. Provides good relief from headache, and runny nose.
Other frequently cited benefits of this old school concoction are associated with its effectiveness as a natural pain killer. They are:
1. Reducing inflammation, it alleviates swelling and pain in arthritis case.
2. Alleviating pains from migraines.
3. Relieving discomfort from menstrual cramps.
keep on hand in your kitchen some ginger and a jar of honey at all times.